Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:25:20 -0600
From:      "Dale Anderson" <danderso@crystalsugar.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC tx0 no link established...

    You can't just plug an ethernet card into a T-1 jack.   You have to have a router with a CSU/DSU, which plus into the T-1, and an ethernet port on the router with plugs into your local LAN, which is where the FreeBSD box connects to.

>>> "J. Han" <hjh@best.com> 10/26 11:08 AM >>>
Hello,

I recently signed up on T1 in my apartment (that has T1 jack already
installed) and put in a SMC EtherPower II 10/100 (SMC9432TX) PCI on
my 2.2.7-STABLE.  Even though I was told that T1 link was up, when
I boot up I get:

tx0: <SMC 83c170> rev 6 int a irq 10 on pci0:15:0
tx0: address ...., type SMC9432TX, phy QS6612, Auto-Neg 10Mbps
tx0: WARNING: no link established

I can ping IP assinged to the card from my machine just fine.
Only 10/100 Mbps indicator LED light is turned on even though
tx0 says it detected 10 Mbps as shown above.

>From my ISP (non-T1) shell machine, I can traceroute my T1 provider's
gateway/router in 6 hops.  If I traceroute my assigned IP, nothing is reported
after 6 hops.  Both the router and my IP do not answer pings, but
the router is reachable by telnet.

SMC tech support told me to check if the tx0 driver is locking up
to 100 Mbps instead of 10.  (Doesn't "Auto-Neg 10 Mbps" mean the
driver figured it out when it came up?)

Right now I have two theories:
1. Something is amiss with the driver or my kernel.
2. T1 is not up.  It was supposed to come online early last week but
there were some glitches and delays until last Friday according
to the company.

FWIW, my kernel (built on Oct 10) always go into config when it comes up
-- even though it comes up fine without any additional config changes.
(Top portion of dmesg is garbled up by config.)

Better ideas?  Fixes?  Suggestions?

Thanks,
	J Han	hjh@best.com