Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:15:17 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newer gcc?

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:

> The "features/optimization" part is very debatable. For C code, I tend to
> get much inferior assembly output using egcs, or even gcc 2.8.1, rather
> than 2.7.2.1.x, even if of course egcs _is_ better for C++, as I've seen.
> Have you actually successfully compiled an entire world with egcs? Let me
> know when you do (kernel too).

An egcs ELF kernel compiled and booted fine for me after disabling
-Wformat-extensions in kern.mk (gave me a lot of warnings about extra
arguments to format() or something, which I didnt bother to understand -- but
it worked). Perhaps I'll run with such a kernel for a while to see if I notice
anything unstable about it.

Kris