Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:47:14 +1000
From:      Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>, Artem Koutchine <matrix@chat.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup tools/strategy

They are all very good except there is a good one called Netmax FreeBSD which
has a GUI web based interface which makes it much easier..

Checkout www.netmax.com for more detail.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 09:40:11PM +0400, Artem Koutchine wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Dump is good (accroding to what man says), but has
> > a very bad feature - i cannot browse the archive
> > visually (say, wich midnight commander)
>
> Just wanted to point out that this really has nothing to do with dump,
> but is rather a limitation or feature of the restore program
> used. There is no reason one could not create a reatore(8)-like
> program that is "visual." Personally, I'll take the CLI of restore(8)
> over some of the silly GUI restore-like programs I've dealt with.
>
> > and i coould
> > not find a way to make it compress the files it backups.
>
> You can just pipe it through gzip or the compression program of your
> choice,
>
>   # dump -0af - / | gzip > root_dump.gz
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu

You are not authorized to use my email address for spam or any purpose
whatsoever. Remove my email address from your databases immediately and do
not attempt to email me in any way.