Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 17:38:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jason T. Nelson" <jason@purcell.jlc.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc/group problem

I know this has been mentioned before as I have seen it in the mailing
list archives, but unfortunately, either I didn't get all the replies or
I'm missing something terribly obvious. Adduser is now complaining (as
well as chown and ls) about invalid groups.

jason@purcell> chown user.www userdirectory
chown: www: illegal group name

'ls' chokes as well, spitting out only the numeric GID. The www group has
gotten rather large, but isn't a 1024 character limit on a line in
/etc/group a tad silly?

--
Jason T Nelson <jason@jlc.net>