Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:35:53 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

> The point here seems very simple. The intel NICs are on a large number of
> MBs and the eepro100 is the most popular card on the market. So why is
> there vitually no maintainer for arguably the most important driver in the
> freebsd tree when there are maintainers for scads of obscure, must less
> used cards?

You appear to have a very wrong idea about how these things work.

There's a maintainer for the fxp driver, who currently happens to be out
of circulation.  Nobody else has stepped up to take it on because
obviously nobody is motivated to do the work.

As for the rest; there's basically one maintainer for these "scads" of
(not actually very) obscure cards - Bill Paul.

> freebsd touts a "core team"  which provides "direction"...does
> the "direction" include letting important drivers fall out of maintenance
> in favor of some crappy netgear card that chokes at 3,000pps?

I have no idea what you think core should do about this.  Are you going
to fund a contractor to work on the driver?  I didn't think so.  What
else are we supposed to do?

> PS: Whatever happened to all of the "support" that BSDI was going to provide?

Call BSDi (numbers on their website) and ask to speak to Gary Johnson
(CEO) or Mark Garver (senior VP) and ask them yourself.  If you get a
useful answer, please tell the rest of us; especially me, since I burnt
out trying to make it happen.