Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:28:15 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf files.i386 src/sys/kern kern_fork.c src/sys/libkern arc4random.c src/sys/sys libkern.h

At 12:53 PM +0200 1999/12/6, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

>  Nah, just leave the historical linear assignment as the default mode
>  of operation for the sake of POLA and document the knob for random
>  assignment in rc.conf.5 and wherever else might be appropriate.

	I don't suppose that this is a democracy, and that we can each
vote for the default we want to have, can we?

	I can't speak for the "convenience" of having linear PID
assignment (I just can't imagine a way that anyone could take
advantage of this in a "good" way).

	However, I can say that there are a boatload of dain-bramaged
scripts out there that I think would have their security measurably
increased (even if by a small amount), if this option were turned on.
Hell, I think just about every script I've ever written would fall in
this category.  ;-)

	My understanding was that we're trying to increase the default
security level of the OS, and unless there were really big problems
in changing the defaults for something that would help us towards
this goal, we would go ahead and make the change (properly documented
and instrumented, of course).

	I mean, we *are* talking about -CURRENT here, right?  It's my
understanding that anyone running -CURRENT has to expect that the
thing won't be usable (heck, may not even compile) at any one
particular point in time, and if they want to actually try to use
-CURRENT, it's their responsibility to track the mailing list, CVS
commit log, etc... and then do their own work to make the system
usable -- and then provide those changes back to the community, so
that others can benefit.

	Unless I'm missing something fundamental here, I don't see why we
can't make changes of this scale.  Much larger changes have been made
to -CURRENT in the past, and I'm sure that much larger changes will
be made to -CURRENT in the future.

	It seems to me that the sort of stuff we're talking about would
fit into that same mold, and could even be more important than some
of the really huge changes that have been made previously -- those
were just functionality, whereas now we're talking about security.

	If we don't make the leap now to try to raise the default
security level of the OS, then when are we?

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.