Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 03:34:01 +0930
From:      Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   openldap pwd/auth broken after upgrade to 4.6-STABLE

Guys,

Has anyone else encountered problems with OpenLDAP passwords and
authentication after upgrading to -STABLE a few weeks ago?

After upgrading, and modifying a userPassword attribute, I'm getting
garbage back from the userPassword value, and I cannot bind to the
server as these users (although I can bind as the rootdn, which I
suspect is because I specify the rootdn's password in slapd.conf).

Normally, using ldapsearch, the userPassword values look like:

userPassword: {crypt}$1$C8ZLaata$AoZs/vKQuTma0Kquep5UH

but now they look like:

userPassword:: e2NyeXB0fSQxJE1PTjlsR0VxJDh3d1FEaW5tT1F5lWJKcFIwOW4yOS8=

Note the double colon "::" and the bizzare looking value.

This is using -STABLE cvsup'ed a week or so after 4.6 was released, and
both openldap-2.0.23 (built before the cvsup) and openldap-2.0.25 (built
on the newly built, cvsuped system).

Does anyone know what is up?

--
Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>, <http://web.vee.net/>;