Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:45:36 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup: a newbie's tale.

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> You cut this out of that supfile,
>
> # base=/usr
> #               This specifies the root where CVSup will store information
> #               about the collections you have transferred to your system.
> #               A setting of "/usr" will generate this information in
> #               /usr/sup.  Even if you are CVSupping a large number of
> #               collections, you will be hard pressed to generate more than
> #               ~1MB of data in this directory.  You can override the
> #               "base" setting on the command line with cvsup's "-b base"
> #               option.  This directory must exist in order to run CVSup.
>
> Now what is not clear there?

Nothing at all, it is quite clear. Perhaps it should be included in
the manual as well? As well as maybe change the default from /usr to
where the manual talks about, i.e. /usr/local/etc/cvsup.

> I've kind of lost track of what your complaint was. I thought you were
> confused by the location of the supfile. But as I pointed out, you
> alywas need to specify the supfile on the command line, which makes a
> default location unecessary additional complexity. Now you are talking
> about the sup directory?

I talked about a lot of things. When you first encounter CVSup it is
a bit intimidating. After all, you let it muck with the source of an
otherwise reasonably well working OS. With what I know now I would then
not have had any problems whatsoever. My intention is to try to improve
the procedure so others will know what is needed from the start.

These are little things (with hindsight). Like including the text from
the supfile in the manual (I read the supfiles but worked from the
manual). And aligning all talk about default directories. Currently
the examples talk about /usr whereas the manual talks about
/usr/local/etc/cvsup.

In fact you're problem with my 'complaint' describes the complaint.
When you're new it talks about a lot of things in a lot of places. It
is all too easy to lose track :).

> I had the /usr/share/mk files clobbered which caused problems next
> time I tried to build a port.

Things like that, yes <g>.

Roelof

--