Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 21:11:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems w/ maxima

Greetings,

Has anyone had any success with building maxima-5.0 from the ports
collection?  I'm running 3.0-current (last CVSUP date = 05/21 for source
and 5/26 for ports).  When I attempted to build this is the error it keeps
giving me:

===>  Building for maxima-5.0
(cd ./src ; make "LISP=/lang/gcl/work/gcl-2.0/xbin/gcl")
echo '(load "sysdef.lisp")'  '(load "SYS-PROCLAIM.lisp")'  '(proclaim
(quote (optimize (safety 0) (speed 0) (space 0))))'  '#+gcl(setq
compiler::*ifuncall* t)' '(proclaim (quote (optimize (safety 2) (speed 2)
(space 2))))'  '(make::make :maxima-macros :compile t)' |
/lang/gcl/work/gcl-2.0/xbin/gcl
/lang/gcl/work/gcl-2.0/xbin/gcl: not found
*** Error code 127

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

bash# cd ../../lang/gcl
bash# make
===>  gcl-2.0 is marked as broken: Seems to depend on old version of
tcl/tk.
bash#

I tried using pkg_add with gcl, but that didn't help since the Makefile is
looking for specific source code from the build of gcl.

Any suggestions?

I'm actually looking for a version of matlab for FBSD.  This appears to be
the closest I could find in the ports collection (I could be way off
here).  I would like to use it for my Linear Algebra class/homework (the
book shows examples and problems specifically for matlab).  If I can't get
maxima to work, does anybody have any alternatives I could use in place of
matlab?

Thanks in advance.

Burton

(FYI:  I had to un-subscribe myself from the list because of too much email
distracting me from my homework.)

---
Brought to you by a 100% Micro$oft free system.  You too can disinfect your
system at http://www.freebsd.org

E-Mail:  burton@bsampley.vip.best.com
Alternate E-Mail:  bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
Home Page:  http://www.best.com/~bsampley (permanently under construction)