Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 07:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        falcon@mail.bw.lgca.ohio.gov (R. Pina)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP, Quotas, and mount

> I understand that I need to rebuild my kernel with PPP and Quota options
> enabled, but is there any documentation that can tellme how I can do it
> without zorching everything on my system and starthing from scratch?  Or
> is that the only way it can be done?

You need to load the ssys.* distribution first.  This is the kernel
source.

Once you've done that, cd to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and look at the file
called GENERIC.  Make a copy of this - for this example, I'll call it
MYKERNEL.

Edit MYKERNEL to suit your needs - you can see examples of what you can
do in LINT.  Once that's done, do the following:

	config MYKERNEL
	cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
	make depend
	make
	make install

Reboot to activate your new kernel.  I recommend that you change only
a few things at a time until you're comfortable with what you're doing.

If you botch things up, the previous kernel can be booted by typing
'kernel.old' at the boot prompt.

This is covered in the FreeBSD handbook (and FAQ) which can be found at
'http://www.freebsd.org/'.

> Also, whats the cmd to mount a CD again? I lost my notes... its something
> like ``mount -f /dev/cd0a <something> /cdrom''

Close.  Try 'mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cdrom'.

The fstab entry would look like this:

/dev/cd0a	/cdrom	cd9660	ro 0 0