Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2018 17:57:49 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        rleigh@codelibre.net
Subject:   Re: dmesg submission service -- please submit today

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 5:45 PM Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:

> On 07/10/2018 05:40, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> >> I'd like to request as many people as possible submit
> >> their current dmesg to the service at
> http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi so
> >> that we have a better basis for future preliminary lists of drivers for
> >> other parts of the tree.
>
> > This one-liner works to submit, though you'll need to change username,
> > email and maybe tweak the description if your system doesn't have decent
> > smbios entries. It's also x86 centric, since other systems won't have
> this
> > information as readily available.
>
> Out of interest, has FreeBSD considered implementing an equivalent of
> Debian's "popularity-contest" package, which periodically submits
> anonymised lists of installed packages?  On FreeBSD this could be from
> the pkg database, and could also include hardware information.
>
> In Debian, it's opt-in at install time, or installable afterward.  If
> FreeBSD had a similar package and installer opt-in, this could
> potentially provide useful usage statistics without any privacy concerns.

We've talked about that, but haven't implemented it. I'd like to figure out
how we can send anonymized structured data about the system, including
hardware and software installed. bsdstats kinda sorts did something like
this, but their data is unavailable (which is what motivated my current
experiment).

Warner