Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2014 09:02:01 +0200
From:      Piotr Kubaj <p.kubaj@pp.com.pl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sending data via MAC address

>>> http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45303#p264204 and
>>> http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45303#p264249 .
>>> I know I can use web interface or ssh but WinBox is required. In short,
>>> using Linux and Wine, I can connect to my routers via MAC, provided they
>>> are in the same network. With FreeBSD it's not possible (I've checked
>>> various Wine versions, so it's not its fault). Right now I have Debian
>>> running on my PC and have tested FreeBSD in VM with bridged NIC. When I
>>> run Winbox in Linux, I can connect to RB, with FreeBSD in VM it works
>>> only with IP (provided both PC and the router are in the same network).
>>> Is it possible in any way to connect using only MAC addresses or when PC
>>> and the router are in different networks (no network aliases, as there
>>> are times when it's not known what network the router is in). Thanks for
>>> answers.
>> So the problem, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that you have a
>> router with an unknown IP address (but a known MAC address).  You're
>> unable to set the IP on the router and you want to use it to forward
>> your traffic?
>>
>> You could do something like this (assuming your NIC is on the
>> 192.168.1.0/24 subnet:
>>
>> route add default 192.168.1.1
>>
>> The IP address that you use here is arbitrary.  Pick an unused address
>> on your subnet.  If you only want to route certain subnets through
>> this router, replace "default" with the subnet that you want to route.
>>
>> arp -s 192.168.1.1 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx pub
>>
>> This will create a static arp entry for 192.168.1.1.  Now when you try
>> to route traffic to 192.168.1.1 it will use the static MAC and things
>> should just work.
>>
>> Note that you probably won't be able to do this to access the router
>> at all (e.g. ping 192.168.1.1).  The router's IP stack won't respond
>> to packets that aren't addressed to the router's IP address.
> I think the OP is talking about MikroTik RouterOS based devices that
> are usually configured
> via WinBox (a proprietary windows based GUI tool) that can
> auto-discover and setup such devices either based on IP,
> or via some proprietary protocol using on L2 if they are on the same
> ethernet segment, even if they don't have IP configured.
>
> For what is worth I was able to run WinBox in Wine under OS X and
> configure such devices, so
> I'm not sure what could be the problem on FreeBSD preventing that communication.
> I think some packet traces might show what's going on.
>
> --Nikolay
Yes, I may have worded it poorly, but that's what I meant. I'll try
Ryan's solution tomorrow, but it seems that FreeBSD is missing something
and that's why some extra-configuration is needed. WinBox on Linux works
OOTB just like in OSX, but it's not like that on FreeBSD. I'll also try
to get packet traces.