Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 05:07:24 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Practicalities of FAQ->Handbook migrations

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 03:51:39AM -0800, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> On 2002-01-21 17:47 -0500, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wrote:
> Well, in Message-ID: <20020119200120.A46175@blackhelicopters.org> you
> talk about a document full of nothing but topics/questions and pointers
> to answers.  It seems to me that if the answer were sufficiently
> concise, then it could be placed directly in that document, in addition
> to or in lieu of pointers to further information.
>
> I understand the need for such an index document.  There is a wealth of
> FreeBSD information in the FAQ, Handbook, Committer's Guide, articles,
> books, manual pages, O'Reillynet articles, Daemon News articles,
> hardcopy books, graphics, ascii art, and also a few hundred web sites,
> some of it very difficult to find despite its potential utility to many
> FreeBSD users.
>
> The Documentation Project seems the logical organization to provide an
> index of pointers to and within these resources.  Instead of "jumbo
> FAQ", though, perhaps the FreeBSD Documentation Index would be a better,
> and sufficiently pretentious, name.  Is this the kind of thing you were
> talking about, Michael?

Something like that, yes.  I would say we should only link to our own
documents, for reasons pointed out elsewhere in this thread.  Although
I have a vested interest in onlamp.com, I don't want to maintain an
index linking to them, BSDzine, daemonnews, etc, etc, etc.

Once we gain experience in indexing our own docs, we could expand it
to other sites, but let's start small.  :) Once we do that we'd need
some infrastructure to automatically notice and find bad links, for
example.  (I'm sure one of you web developers have programs sitting
around to do exactly that, but we'd want to make it project process to
use them on a, say, weekly basis.)

I have to admit that I don't like the idea of putting answers in an
index.  That's not what an index is for.  But the FreeBSD
Documentation Index sounds sufficiently weighty.

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
my FreeBSD column: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons

http://www.blackhelicopters.org/~mwlucas/