Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 2010 22:18:57 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Portmaster version 2.21, with INDEX support

Howdy,

I'm very happy to announce the release of portmaster 2.21, which has 2
exciting new features, --index and --index-only. The first adds a
feature that users have requested in the past, the ability to use an
INDEX file to help speed up checking if a port is up to date or not. If
the INDEX version is newer than the installed version, no further tests
are done and an update is triggered. If they match, and /usr/ports is
available, then the version in the ports tree is checked too, just in case.

The --index-only option is a bit more exciting. :)  Using it along with
--packages-only and a couple of environment variables it's now possible
to use portmaster with no /usr/ports directory at all! This makes
portmaster a viable choice for those who want to roll their own custom
upgrade solutions.

I think I've done a fairly thorough job of regression testing the new
--index features, however as always it's possible that I've missed a bug
or two. Please let me know if you stumble over one and I'll try to get
it fixed ASAP.

Enjoy,

Doug