Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 09:35:51 +0100
From:      "Greg Quinlan" <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Q] kernel panic in 3.1-stable

Panic ... Yes....

In a previous message I reported that I am still having kernel panics in
3.1-Stable....
Unfortunately because of circumstances ... Partial reinstall (corrupt /usr
file system) and a restore from backup... I seem to have no actual panic
message. (perhaps because I did a full restore overwriting the /var/messages
file)
It has been and ongoing thing with no real indicators.... the primary server
which does almost everything complex crashes about every two - three days...
if it were a hardware problem it would crash all the time! (since it does so
much)
But my last plea went un-heard... my reputation is somewhat tarnished by the
whole affair with people asking serious questions.
I would like to spend more time trying to filter through the core but it
will require a little more time than I currently have right now... (learning
all about crash dumps and how to read them)

I also have files called "vmcore.0" & "kernel.0" which were placed into the
/var/crash directory so after the last crash.

Also a message momentarily flashed up on the console.... but I did not get a
good look at it... it had something to do with "page fault" but I could be
wrong.

Greg