Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2018 09:47:00 -0700
From:      Lee Brown <leeb@ratnaling.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpr(4) and disable_eedp

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 6:28 AM, Kenneth D. Merry <ken@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:24:47 -0800, Lee Brown wrote:
> > I'm looking to build a SAS array with a Dell MD1420.  It will be attached
> > via a SAS 9300-414E HBA in a Dell R330.
>
> In theory it should be fine.  I haven't used a Dell enclosure recently, but
> from posts here, it seems that they like to turn on Type 2 Protection
> Information on the drives.  (Assuming you buy the drives from Dell.)
>
> If they do that, you can either reformat, or see the patch here for the
> mpr(4) driver to disable using protection information:
>
> https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=308820+0+
> archive/2017/freebsd-scsi/20171022.freebsd-scsi
>
> I have been using this patch in production on an 11.1 kernel with great
success.

I'm upgrading to 11.2 today and am wondering what's required to push this
into the source tree (so I can be lazy next time and not have to patch)?  I
can provide testing and maybe the MD1420 could be added to the officially
supported hardware list?  Let me know how I could help.

BTW, there's a typo in the patch for mpr.c "dsiable" should be "disable":
+    OID_AUTO, "dsiable_eedp", CTLFLAG_RD, &sc->disable_eedp, 0,

Regards -- lee