Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:49:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jail Resource Limits for 6.x ...

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> > Is anyone looking into merging in the patch available at:
>>
>>           <http://www.ualberta.ca/~cdjones/cdjones_jail_soc2006.patch>;
>>
>> That provides both memory and cpu limits on a jail?  It appears to be
>> against REL_6 from last years SOC ...
>>
>> Is anyone using it in production anywhere?
>
> I got same question + one more. Why there are SoC projects, which never come
> in to src tree or wider publicity? Sometimes it is like wasting of human
> resources... ;(

Summer of Code projects are student projects funded by Google for a summer.
Many of the project proposals are significantly more ambitious than a single
summer, and take much longer to come to fruition -- often being merged in the
winter, the next spring, or even a summer or two later.  Not all projects are
even intended to lead directly to commitable code: some are effectively R&D
projects to understand new areas of work.  However, we have a fairly high
success rate in getting things committed within a year or so: remember, things
need time for testing, review, revision, etc, and this requires a significant
effort by the students, their mentors, and the project as a whole over a very
extended period of time.

Per the recent announcement on the freebsd-announce mailing list and on the
web site, you can learn more about the SoC projects by visiting the FreeBSD
web page, and also the FreeBSD wiki which contains more detailed information
on each project:

     http://www.freebsd.org/projects/summerofcode-2007.html

     http://wiki.freebsd.org//SummerOfCode2007

The 2007 SoC season has barely begun, as the official start date is at the end
of May.  However, many students have started, and already put information
about their projects online.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge