Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:37:45 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject:   Re: www/chromium ignores proxy settings [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:51:13AM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> "Wilkinson, Alex" wrote:
> >
> >     0n Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 02:19:32PM +0000, Tom Evans wrote:
> >
> >     >On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Alexander Logvinov <avl@logvinov.com> wrote:
> >     >> ??Use ??chrome --proxy-server="http://proxy:3128/" :)
> >     >That didn't work either, it would not even make any connections then.
> >     >With '--proxy-server=proxy:3128' though, it works correctly!
> >     >It would still be nice to be able to set these options in the right
> >     >place in the gui, and have them work :)
> >
> > Try: --proxy-pac-url="http://proxy-server:port"
> >
> > Work for me.
> >
> >    -Alex
>
> Man chrome:
> 	--proxy-server=host:port
>               Specify the HTTP/SOCKS4/SOCKS5 proxy server to use for requests.
>               This overrides any environment variables or settings picked  via
>               the  options  dialog.
>
> 	--proxy-pac-url=URL
>               Specify  proxy autoconfiguration URL.  Overrides any environment
>               variables or settings picked via the options dialog.
>
> These do not work here:
> 	chrome --proxy-pac-url="http://gate:80"
> 	chrome --proxy-pac-url=http://gate:80
> Not suprising, I suppose the URL should not contain '"' and perhaps
> the URL should be some some auto config server hook I am not supplying.

Correct.  You need to reference a PAC file for the browser to
read/parse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config

I can show you an example .pac file if you want; I use one to define
what domain names my browser visits should be siphoned through a proxy
(SSH tunnel to work) or directly via the Internet.

If what you're looking for is an HTTP or HTTPS-based proxy, you should
be using --proxy-server, specifying the FQDN or local hostname of the
server and what TCP port the proxy daemon is configured to accept
requests from (e.g. port 80, or port 3128 in most cases, ex. squid).

> 	printenv | grep -i proxy
> 		http_proxy=http://gate.js.berklix.net:80
> 		all_proxy=http://gate.js.berklix.net
> My proxy env vars are not being imported properly,
> & setting on command line is ugly, but no time for more now,
> possibly a bug/feature in chrome ? I never tried chrome before.

There is a very bad assumption being made here (so far by two people).

There is absolutely nothing that requires or guarantees a piece of
software will import or make use of *_proxy environment variables.  The
software has to explicitly state it honours and respects these, and
provide documentation stating what it expects the syntax to be.

The only two pieces of software I've encountered which honours these is
perl's LWP::UserAgent (and friends), and curl.

I imagine lynx and some other software honours them as well, but again,
assuming software honours them (or properly parses them for that matter)
isn't reasonable.

Is there any confirmed documentation that Google Chrome honours and
makes use of *_proxy environment variables?  I see some random Linux
user forum posts claiming it does, but there's caveats to their use
apparently (see post from "disciple"; X users will probably want to read
this post):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50196

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |