Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 1995 12:24:14 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Jeff Hoffman <jeffh@cybernetics.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UPDATE: Imagine128 & AccelX & 950210-SNAP

> Ok, for those of you who have been keeping up, I tried to re-install 2.0
> and ended up back with 950210-SNAP because my floppy didn't work with
> 2.0  This time, I ftp'ed the the 950210-SNAP from scratch, and did not
> use one single non-950210-SNAP file (except my X server).

[FYI - either -hackers OR -current, but never both.  I have adjusted
 the CC line.  Thank you]

> I run Xsetup again, choose Number9 I128 w/4MB, same resolution, same
> color depth (16 colors).  I load up X, and things are no longer OK.
> Before I go into depth with the problems, let me say that I ran this
> server under 2.0 for a while (about a month) with 0 problems.  I have not
> done one thing to my machine since then.  It is _EXACTLY_ the same as it
> was then.  _Something_ that was changed between 2.0 and 950210-SNAP is
> causing this problem, either directly or indirectly.  I will let the
> XInside people know tomorrow, as well.

I'm sorry, but this is just frankly bizarre.  I can't think of
anything except perhaps the mmap() semantics changing (David?) that
would lead to semantics like you're describing.  The X server should
still be communicating just fine with the board's registers and video
memory under either 2.0 or 950210-SNAP, and I've certainly been
running Xaccel quite happily since pre-2.0 days all the way up to
post-950210-SNAP with my #9 GXE64 Pro/4MB board.  It's never given me
anything but flawless performance.

I presume that you have, of course, tried varying resolutions, pixel
depths, etc?  You really will have to help us narrow this down a
little more if we're to have any hope of tracking it down and fixing
it.

				Jordan