Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:51:57 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        jake@coolbluei.com
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help kernal config

jake@coolbluei.com wrote:

> Hi I have just done my first kernal configuration, because I was trying
> to add support for both processors on my computer.
>
> I undid the comments for smp and built the kernal and installed it and
> it boots fine, I just can't tell if it sees both processors
>
> when I do a dmesg i see three areas that associate with this area:
>
> Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
>
> #this line
> CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (696.97-MHz 686-class CPU)
>    Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x683  Stepping = 3
>
> Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,
> CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
> real memory  = 1073676288 (1048512K bytes)
> avail memory = 1041399808 (1016992K bytes)
> Programming 24 pins in IOAPIC #0
> IOAPIC #0 intpin 2 -> irq 0
>
> #these lines
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard
>   cpu0 (BSP): apic id:  1, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
>   cpu1 (AP):  apic id:  0, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
>   io0 (APIC): apic id:  2, version: 0x00170011, at 0xfec00000
> Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc0444000.
> Pentium Pro MTRR support enabled
>
> #and this line
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>
> does this mean that it is taking advantage of both processors,

It means the system can take advantage of it. Most of the applications
or ports can only use one cpu at a time. For example, on my SMP
system, I run 2 copies of setiathome. I can do things like buildworld
much faster on the SMP system; however, the cpus are dual 866
coppermines and they are faster than the ATA-100 HDs. I ended up with
3 - ATA-100 HDs and connected each to their own controller. I have the
system on one controller and /usr/src and /usr/obj on the other 2
controllers. At that point, I can do a buildworld in 29 minutes. Right
now a make with -j8 produces the quickest buildworld. With a single
HD, a -jn of any value ran longer.

Kent