Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:32:02 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Dee <deezmail@cox.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation

Dee wrote:

> Sorry for the intrusion. I’m a newbie and have followed the FreeBSD
> handbook closely.
>
> I have a technical issue with FreeBSD 4.6 installation. After the
> installation, my computer hangs while “extracting ports into /usr
> directory.
>
> I have tried different cd rom drives, hard drives and even different
> ISOs.
>
> Could it be my partition sizes?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with deciding your own partition sizes.

Unfortunately, you've run into a well-known bug in 4.6-RELEASE. This
problem, and several others are covered in
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/errata.html which you really need
to read. It will explain to you a way of hopefully getting FreeBSD to
install on your system. You should also read the security advisories
listed on that page and decide if they represent security problems for you.

You may also be interested to hear that there is a 4.6.2-RELEASE planned
in the next few weeks that will fix the problem you are having and
several others.

Good Luck! :-)

Andrew.