Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:39:06 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        "ADSBANNERS" <support@adsbanners.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIRST INSTALL QUESTION

[cc'd back to questions@]

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:29:56 -0800
"ADSBANNERS" <support@adsbanners.com> wrote:

> 20031130:09:24gmt-8 las vegas nv 89102
>
> Thanks for the information.

My plesure.

> What do you mean by unregistered?

I supose you refer to my signature. Well the short story is an allusion
at some linux users, their
Linux registered user #nnnnnnn
signatureand the way some of them see the rest of the world based on how
small the number is --> how old linux user one is. The ideea came to me
from a chat@freesd.org thread a few years ago and basicaly want to say
that not the age is important but what you know and learn. I'm using
FreeBSD since 2.2.4 but I know a few people that learned more that me in
just a few months ;) It is also an allusion at the activation,
registering and the rest wonderfull things of M$.

> I want to
> explain what I meant about booting to DOS from Windows 98 Start-up Menu. Can
> I do the following (C: bootable; D: orig formatted FAT32 not bootable to
> Windows, 2  partitions - 1 FAT32, 1 BSD)..
>
> 1. Boot to Windows Start-up Menu
> 2. Choose 'Command Prompt Only'
> 3. C:>CD D:
> 4.D:>FBSDBOOT.EXE
>
> If that would work I think it would be the most attractive to me. The file
> FBSDBOOT.EXE sounds like magic.. it must be a Windows package, yes?

DOS to be more exact.

> Could
> you possibly Format FDisk one of the new portable USB2.0 drives, install DOS
> 6.2 on one partition and FreeBSD on another and take the server w/ you?

Yes.

> the latest distribution of FreeBSD support USB 2.0?

Depending on the MB yes or no. See the hardware notes for the release
you whant to use.

> I'm dreamin' here but I
> am scrambling because XP is a can of worms and Longhorn will be worse.

As I didn't / don't use FBSDBOOT.EXE I can not say much about it. You
might what to review: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=37734
and the thead
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2003-July/001942.html

As far as I know this utility is usefull on some older BIOSes that don't
know LBA but could also be used to skip installing the MBR code
(BootEasy, which I trust more).

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user