Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:06:16 +0100
From:      Gildas PERROT <perrot@FranceNet.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   qpopper and sendmail ports on FreeBSD 3.x : locking process ?

Hi,

I was thinking to use qpopper 2.53 port on FreeBSD 3.3 with sendmail
8.9.3 port (mail.local delivery) but I would like to know the impact of the
patches added to source files especially concerning the lock process since I
want to run a script to expire mail.

Why does .<login>.pop stay in /var/mail in the spool even at the end of
POP3 session. The usual qpopper process is to remove .pop at the end of POP3
session. How does the lock process work with that port (I saw a flock.c file
added to original distribution) ?

If I want to expire mail, what should be the locking process in it considering
I use sendmail and qpopper ports ?

Furthermore, I would like to increase the performances of that
server. With that port, is it possible to :
- use server mode
- put the POP_DROP on another directory (which is on another device)
- use HASH_SPOOL=2

Furthermore, is there any patches dependency with sendmail 8.9.3
provided by FreeBSD 3.3 ?

Finally, is it possible to use last version of qpopper 3.x without
patches to get a correct behaviour especially with locking process.

Thanks in advance for your help.			Gildas.
--
Gildas PERROT, perrot@francenet.fr         __o
FranceNet, 28 rue Desaix, 75015 Paris ---_ \<,_