Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 00:34:25 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1012612764.6cb45d@mired.org>, Jonathan E Fosburgh <jonathan@fosburgh.org>
Subject:   Re: dump, restore - active vs. inactive filesystem

Jonathan and Mike, thanks for the responses! Comments below:

At 07:19 PM 1/27/02 -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
>Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> types:
> > Does mounting a filesystem read-only mean it's inactive? (I suspect not.)
>
>A file system mounted read-only is inactive.

Thanks for clearing that up!

>You have three options. 1) Unmount the file system. 2) Mount the file
>system read-only. 3) Dump it in single-user mode, making sure nothing
>else is going on on the system.

Here's a question (for anyone): In my case, this isn't really a big problem
because it's a relatively small server I use for my family and me, as well
as anyone else who may bring their laptop or machine over for one reason or
another. So, this system is basically two steps away from being run in a
sandbox.

What's the best way to handle this on a production system? None of the
above suggestions is practical on very large volumes that take an extended
period of time to back up or on high availability systems. "Just run the
dump while the filesystem's mounted read/write and hope for the best," is
of course always an option, though perhaps not an ideal one. :)

At 08:58 PM 1/27/02 -0600, Jonathan E Fosburgh wrote:
>And it is possible that new files were generated
>after the map was done that will be on neither the tape nor the table of
>contents.  Check the names of the missing files.  Is it possible they are
>just temporary files being generated by an application?

Not in this case, Jonathan. The system doesn't really run anything except
Samba and the volume was not in active use by anyone when the backup was
run, though it was mounted read/write.

The whole reason I'm working on this now is because I need to move the
machine across town to my new home; the old house still has most of my
equipment, but it's vacant so there's no longer any activity on the network
there. Samba is really the only process that has anything to do with that
filesystem and unless it has a habit of keeping tons of files inaccessable
even when no one is working on them - most of the files on the first 10GB
tape were missing, as well as a good number on the second tape - I don't
think the problem is caused by any running applications.

Just for the record, it's possible the tapes are bad and this is a result
of tape errors, but I want to make sure I'm actually following the proper
procedure so I can make that determination with some certainty and solve
the correct problem!

Before I made my first post I remounted the filesystem read-only and killed
Samba, so another dump is running now. I'll go swap tapes sometime in the
next day or so and see how it turns out.

Thanks again for the responses!

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM