Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:24:06 +0400
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@chat.ru>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Motherborad/Memory/CPU for web hosting system

Hi!

I am trying to pick a hardware config for a server which must hosts
dozens of web server. It is going to be a commercial hosting and
i picked FreeBSD as OS because of many personal reasons:) Now
i must pick some x86 compat platform hardware.

What I am thinking about right now is : Asus P2B-LS motherboard,
Pentium III above 500, 512MB ram, 1 SCSI 10GB, 1 SCSI 30GB,
1 UDMA IDE AS BIG AS IT CAN BE for backup. The main problem
is the motherboard. I just don't see any alternative and that;s bad. I'd
like
to have a choice. It seems like the newer i820 bases motherboards from Asus
have SCSI contrller Ultra160 which is not supported by 3.4 ( i'd rather no
go with 4.0). But on the other hand BX is kind old now.

If you have some experience with hosting a lot of web servers, please, share
the hardware config with me.

Artem