Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:24:06 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, chris@vindaloo.com
Subject:   Re: Problems unmounting/fssyncking extern UFS filesystem

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 05:07:01PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
>  > Kevin Oberman wrote:
>  > [ ... ]
>  > > The magic phrase is "buffer cache has been flushed". In the real world
>  > > of discs with cache there is no way to be certain when the data is
>  > > REALLY on the disc. That is why things get clobbered if the power is
>  > > cycled to the disc too soon after syncing and why a sleep (or typing
>  > > sync three times) is still a good idea and probably always will be.
>  >
>  > Please understand that this is an honest question but isn't that true
>  > only of IDE heritage drives. E.g. If a SCSI drive with Tagged Queuing
>  > says that the the bits have been written doesn't it mean that the bits
>  > have really been written?
>
> Right, unless the SCSI drive has a label saying "Quantum".

In other words: Yes, assuming the SCSI drive works as it should.  Not
all SCSI drives work as they should.  (I am not familiar with the Quantum
disks in particular, but I would be very surprised if there were no SCSI
disks that were broken in this regard.)

> Best regards
>    Oliver
>
> PS:  Quantum is today owned by maxtor, isn't it?  I've lost
> track of HD manufacturers when Seagate bought Conner ...

Quantum and Maxtor merged and became Maxtor.  Maxtor was recently
bought by Seagate, so it is Seagate that owns Quantum these days.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson