Skip site navigation (1)Skip section navigation (2)
Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2016 14:49:02 +0200
From:      Anton Sayetsky <vsasjason@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Timothy Macintyre <tmacintyre@outlook.com>,  "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.0 16kb Page Size
Message-ID:  <CAA2O=b-JG6V+DMYPq0pQXWhBniDqNzWc1mD9VohpjgndwWD-PQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <20160319134549.5bf3019f.freebsd@edvax.de>
References:  <VI1PR05MB1343B48CB99607A90FB15C09DA8C0@VI1PR05MB1343.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com> <20160319132752.932a5a1e.freebsd@edvax.de> <CAA2O=b_3Yrd3fydDrw-H6AY7UHh-6=T0Pvuig9D2Gs7VUV9tMg@mail.gmail.com> <20160319134549.5bf3019f.freebsd@edvax.de>

Next in thread | Previous in thread | Raw E-Mail | Index | Archive | Help
2016-03-19 14:45 GMT+02:00 Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 14:37:14 +0200, Anton Sayetsky wrote:
>> 2016-03-19 14:27 GMT+02:00 Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>:
>> > On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 11:11:17 +0000, Timothy Macintyre wrote:
>> >> I'm trying to do some testing on FreeBSD 9.0 with the page size
>> >> set to 16kb on amd64 but I'm having trouble building a stable kernel.
>> >>
>> >> I've changed the PAGE_SHIFT to 14 under param.h and also updated
>> >> pmap.h/c with the following values so it doesn't complain about
>> >> invalid struct sizes at compile but I'm getting a crash after
>> >> install and reboot. Is there something I'm missing here?
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> #define _NPCM 12
>> >> #define _NPCPV 677
>> >
>> > You should probably repeat that experiment with a currently
>> > supported code base. FreeBSD 9.0 is already EOL. The best
>> > idea would be to use the FreeBSD 10.2 release (amd64) and
>> > make the required changes.
>> >
>> > In case you have a valid reason not to use FreeBSD 10, but
>> > instead need to keep FreeBSD 9, try the most current release,
>> > which is FreeBSD 9.3. Remember: it's a legacy release, not a
>> > production release.
>> You're wrong. I've just checked official FreeBSD site:
>> >LATEST RELEASES
>> >Production: 10.2, 10.1, 9.3
>
> Hmmm... are we looking at different pages?
Doh, it's true. According to main page, you're wrong. According to
releases page, you're right. %)
But in fact I agree that one should not use 9.x at all.
> * quote *
>
> Currently Supported Releases
>
> Complete information about the release date, the classification type,
> and the estimated End-Of-Life (EOL) for currently supported releases
> can be found on the  Supported Releases section of the FreeBSD Security
> Information page.
>
> Most Recent Releases
>
> Production Release
>
> Release 10.2 (August 2015) Announcement : Release Notes : Installation Instructions : Hardware Notes : Readme : Errata
>
> Release 10.1 (November 2014) Announcement : Release Notes : Installation Instructions : Hardware Notes : Readme : Errata
>
> Legacy Release
>
> Release 9.3 (July 2014) Announcement : Release Notes : Installation Instructions : Hardware Notes : Readme : Errata
>
> * end quote *
>
> Source:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/
>
> Still, the FreeBSD 9 path won't continue in the future, so
> FreeBSD 10 is the preferred way to go, because the support for
> the legacy release FreeBSD 9.3 will end soon.
>
> Especially FreeBSD 9.0 is mentioned in the "Prior Releases Which
> Have Reached End-Of-Life" list.
>
>
> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...



Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?CAA2O=b-JG6V+DMYPq0pQXWhBniDqNzWc1mD9VohpjgndwWD-PQ>