Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:43:32 +0000
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   swap performance under 6.1

I saw under http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.1R/todo.html  that swap
performance under 6.x is slower then 4.X, and this is listed as "not
done".

I noticed that 6.1 seemed to be a dog, but 6.0 I thought was better.  As
a test I installed 6.0 and 6.1 in parallel on my laptop with identical
ports trees (and packages) and 6.0 does feel a lot more responisve to
swapping; I would be eager to help track this down if someone could give
me some pointers.  If I have to _guess_ as to a problem it would seem
like some of the scheduling priorities changed.  (this is with GENERIC
under 6.0 and 6.1, this is with 6.1-PRERELEASE from April 5; I can CVSUP
to the latest if people think things have changed.)

--
David E. Cross