Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:00:19 -0800
From:      <matthew@phoronix.com>
To:        "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
Subject:   Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

   =0A =0A =0A =0A =0A Let me suggest an alternative.
   =0A
   = =0A Within the Phoronix Test Suite ecosystem, we have a
   continious=0A = integration/validation system called Phoromatic=0A
   ([1]http://www.phoromatic.c= om/).  We have a brief theory of
   operation=0A on it captured=0A= =0A
   [2]https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=3Dds439pg_42hpg57m86=0A . =
   You can see a Linux oriented tracker available at=0A [3]http://ph=
   oromatic.com/kernel-tracker.php (the nice graphs are when=0A you sel=
   ect 180 days and the ION 330 systems).  We've re-assigned the=0A sy=
   stems to other projects so it is no longer being updated, but it=0A
   serv= ed our purposes.
   =0A
   =0A This system will allow you to just de= dicate a machine to be=0A
   updateable and pick up the directions for whic= h test to be run.
   The=0A FreeBSD project (or contributors) would m= aintain the slave or
   test=0A machines.  The test suite would be sel= ected and managed by
   the=0A FreeBSD project or contributors.  The g= lue code to emit
   triggers=0A (possibly SVN, git or other submission, or = even just
   daily) and the=0A scripts to update the systems would also be =
   maintained by the=0A FreeBSD community.
   =0A
   =0A Phoronix Me= dia would be happy to host it on Phoromatic.com
   (we've=0A played with ho= sted with project branding) and provide the
   data store=0A and the analyt= ics.  We'd also be willing to make
   enhancements to=0A support the F= reeBSD project.
   =0A
   =0A This should solve the "I don't have ti= me to maintain a
   automated=0A test infrastructure".  You don't need= to, just write the
   glue=0A scripts, and dedicate a couple of machines.&= nbsp; I believe
   FreeBSD=0A vendors like ixSystems may be able to support= this effort
   with a=0A dedicated machine.  You can have as many mac= hines as you
   like=0A demonstrating AMD/Intel/32/64/large mem/low mem,etc= =2E
   =0A
   =0A The comments around interactivi= ty can also be measured to
   some=0A extent.  We have the model of a = "monitor".  This can be
   configured=0A to determine jitter around a = number of system
   variables and to=0A possibly inject actions to measure = impacts.
   =0A
   =0A We're more than happy to work with you guys, = and are willing to
   help=0A do a lot of the infrastructure and automation= lifting.
   =0A
   =0A Regards,
   =0A
   =0A Matthew
   =0A=
   =0A
   =0A
   =0A On 12/22/11 8:56 AM, Adrian Chadd wrot= e:=0A

     =0A
Guys, gir=
ls, fuzzy creatures,=0A=0AThis is by far the best example of a constructive=
 email in this entire thread.=0A=0AIf people would like to help, Erik here =
is exactly the kind of person=0Awith exactly the kind of software that need=
s a hand.=0A=0AI think enough philosophizing has been done - now we have qu=
estions=0Athat need answering; theories that need testing. And that require=
s,=0Ayou know, coding. :)=0A=0AThe best thing right now would be for *BSD p=
eople to pick up the=0APhronix test suite, try to compile/run it, and provi=
de feedback. Do=0Ayour own benchmarks on your own hardware and report back =
the results.=0AThat's how we fix the "benchmarking problem." We don't fix i=
t by=0Aarmchair philosophy, we fix it by getting our hands dirty. :)=0A=0A2=
c,=0A=0A=0AAdrian=0A=0A=0AOn 22 December 2011 03:21, Erik Cederstrand [4]<erik@
=
cederstrand.dk> wrote:=0A

     =0A

     = =0A
Den 21/12/2011 kl. 19.48 skrev Alexander Leidinge=
r:=0A=0A

     =0A

     =0A
And related to the subject: wasn't it you who developed the automatic=
 benchmarking stuff? If yes, why not make it available? If you don't have h=
e resources, I offer my help to make it available somewhere.=0A

     =0A =

     =0A
Yes, that's me. I'm mostly out =
of time right now, but I'd like to offer help if someone wants to pick up t=
he project.=0A=0AFor those who haven't heard about it, it's a system design=
ed specifically to track performance of FreeBSD over time by comparing revi=
sions of FreeBSD, everything else being equal. It consists of a tinderbox-l=
ike build script for a build server, a script to install FreeBSD and run be=
nchmarks on at least one slave, and a database-backed website to aggregate =
and visualize results.=0A=0AThe framework does work as-is, but it really ne=
eds to be updated: convert the scripts to use the SVN repo instead of CVS, =
improve visualization and search on the web fronted, and improve the benchm=
arking script so it's easier to extend. I don't have hardware available to =
run the benchmarks, but I think there's hardware available in the FreeBSD c=
luster.=0A=0AHere's a link to the source code: [5]http://dev.affect-it.dk=
/tracker.tgz=0AAnd to my thesis describing how it works: [6]http://de=
v.affect-it.dk/tracker.pdf=0A=0AJust send me a mail if you're intereste=
listinfo/freebsd-performanc=
e=0ATo unsubscribe, send any mail to [9]"freebsd-perfo=
rmance-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"=0A

     =0A

     =0A =

     =0A