Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:12:14 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: short-changed on SD card?

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 12:56:19PM -0500, William Bulley wrote:

> According to Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net> on Mon, 02/02/09 at 12:46:
> >
> > On Monday 02 February 2009 07:52:44 William Bulley wrote:
> > > Recently purchased a brand new 2.0 GB secure digital (SD) card.
> > >
> > > When I plugged this into a USB dongle and plugged the USB dongle
> > > into an available USB socket on my FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE system the
> > > output from dmesg(8) reported this:
> > >
> > >    da1: 960MB (1967616 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 960C)
> > >
> > > This is much closer to 1.0 GB than 2.0 GB so I at once wondered
> > > if I had been scammed in my purchase of this brand new SD card.
> > >
> > > Once I'd mounted /dev/da1s1 on /mnt, the df(1) command also reported
> > > 960 MB.  I then copied a 300+ megabyte file onto /mnt and then ran
> > > the df(1) command again.  This time it reported 1.9 GB total and
> > > 1.6 GB available.  WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?  Am I going crazy?
> >
> > On a hunch, it's really 1G FAT, 1G HFS ("mac"). You could reformat it using
> > fdisk/newfs.
>
> That might be a good hunch, but the SD card itself just says "2.0 GB" on the
> outside - no mention there or when I purchased it to have any Mac-ness.
>
> I don't recall seeing anything Mac-ish when I ran the fdisk(8) command as
>
>    % fdisk da1
>
> The output then seemed to correctly reflect that partition (slice) one (1)
> was 960 MB in size.  I tried later (once the system had recovered and the
> fsck(8) had finished) to use fdisk(8) to put 1920 MB into slice one.  But
> that didn't seem to work.  I marked all the other three slices as "UNUSED".
> Is there any trick to using fdisk(8) that is hidden in the man page which
> I evidently missed?  I used the "-i" flag and it led me by the had through
> each slice - I thought I did the "right" thing, but I was never able to
> mount(8) the SD card after that, even though dmesg(8) reported "da1" as
> being there.  I kept getting "invalid parameter" or the like when I tried
> mounting as I am used to:
>
>    # mount_msdosfs -l /dev/da1s1 /mnt
>
> I also tried:
>
>    # mount_msdosfs -l /dev/da1 /mnt
>
> But both versions failed.  Finally, in desperation, I formatted the SD card
> on a Windows XP laptop.  Windows put it back into FAT shape (using the low
> level - not the "quick" - format there) and gave it 960 MB, sigh...   :-(

I am a little lost here and haven't tried a lot on USB devices yet -
though I haven't had these kind of problems.

But, after doing the fdisk stuff and before trying to mount, did you
do a newfs?

Another thing would be to try the old
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=512 count=1024
and see if it will write to it and wipe enough stuff to free it up.
Up the count if you think it makes any difference.

////jerry