Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 00:45:18 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF kernels: When?

Terry Lambert scribbled this message on Apr 22:
> I would like to run an ELF kernel.
>
> Specifically, I would like to experiment with abstracting libkern
> as a seperate ELF segment in the running kernel that I could map
> into a program's address space via a section aware dlopen() (sort
> of a poor man's "libelf").  I would hack the loader to not load
> the (shared object) section type I'd use for this.
>
> This would tend to fix the !@#$%! "ps: proc size mismatch ..."
> messages, once and for all.
>
> So, per the subject: "ELF kernels: When?".

well, one of the requirements to elf kernel is going to be link_elf.c
being writen...  otherwide, elf kernels will NEVER happen (either elf
kernels or improved bus/device design)...  so when will that happen?

as far as elf kernels, I thought a few people were running the kernels
using jdp's elfkit...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                      Modem Rev/FAX: +1 541 346 9237
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for