Date:      Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:02:51 -0600
From:      eculp@encontacto.net
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gamin 0.1.7

Quoting Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>:

> eculp@encontacto.net wrote:
>> IIRC, gamin was dumping core, but since it was a production server I
>> didn't look further but went back to courier.
>
> Was the gam_server to dump core or the courier-imap using libgamin?
> If it was the former it never happened to me, the latter could be a
> courier bug exploited by an unexpected different behaviour of gamin.
>
>> If you think the new version has a chance of working with courier, I
>> could give it a try.  Early tomorrow morning or maybe this evening
>> if I can get caught up. (CST).
>
> Giving a real quick look at courier source code I can see a few
> potential bugs regarding missing or uncorrect checks of FAMPending
> return values. I don't know if they can cause logical errors and dump
> core, but surely the fam integration is not perfect. The quick answer
> is "try the new version", even if the probabilities are not many.

Alex, I was mistaken.  I just deinstalled fam and installed the new
gamin port and found that the real problem is that imapd is dumping
core not gamin.

Feb  8 16:47:58 home kernel: pid 58199 (imapd), uid 80: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)
Feb  8 16:48:01 home kernel: pid 58201 (imapd), uid 80: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)
Feb  8 16:48:03 home kernel: pid 58198 (imapd), uid 80: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)

and dumping with an Sig 11 that I hate.  I always think memory but
switching back to fam it again works perfectly.  Not much help I'm
afraid.  If there is anything special that I can test for you, let me
know.  I've got both compiled now so it isn't difficult to switch back
and forth.

ed