Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:03:08 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change a FreeBSD clock time

In the last episode (Jan 19), Gary W. Swearingen said:
> Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > date(1).  Why would you ever want to change the processor time and
> > not the CMOS time?  The CMOS clock is only a backup for the
> > processor clock.
>
> Maybe because the OS I use 90% of the time maintains an offset
> between the CMOS clock and the OS clock using a sophisticated clock
> speed estimation algorithm which is not sophisticated enough to
> handle big step changes in the CMOS clock done by other OSes between
> boots without being told about it?

There are free ntp clients for Windows, too.  I'm partial to
Automachron.  Windows 2000 and XP do sntp natively via the "net time
/setsntp" command.  See MS knowledgebase entries Q216734
and Q314054.

> That's not my current situation as I dropped Linux cold Turkey and
> the clock speed program isn't supported for FreeBSD.  I'm OK with the
> "date" method, but I"m not happy that the "date" man page doesn't say
> what the command does better than it does.  (It says "date will set
> the date and time" and doesn't mention CMOS/MB or OS clocks.) I've
> added it to my list of PRs to be written.

It doesn't specifically mention CMOS vs OS clock, because on all OSes
other then Linux, setting one sets the other.  I notice that the Linux
'date' manpage doesn't say that it does not set the CMOS clock.  Bug?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com