Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 10:37:46 -0800
From:      "Alan D. Trombla" <alan@trickler.uu.silcom.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade - CPU, clock?

Hi,
I am about to upgrade my FBSD 2.0 system to 2.1 and am thinking about
upgrading the hardware as well.

Currently, I have a Intel 486DX2/66 in a NICE Mini EISA/VLB motherboard
with 16 Meg of RAM (The chips are OKI M514100B-70SJ, so I am guessing
they are 70ns).

Questions:
1.  What is the fastest chip I can plop into my ZIF socket with no other
changes?

2.  Can I just change the crystal to get a 50MHz system?  If so, will
my ATI GUP handle the faster bus?  (There are no other VLB boards.)
Is my memory (assuming it *is* 70ns) fast enough?

3.  Does it make more sense to get a PCI mother board?

In general, I would appreciate any suggestions for squeezing the last
drop of performance out of this system.

Thanks for your time,
Alan

Alan D. Trombla--------------------------------------alan@iplab.ece.ucsb.edu