Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 13:45:06 -0800
From:      Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
Cc:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>, binup@FreeBSD.org, libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: current project steps

> I think what binup should concentrate on is the client/server paradigm
> because the package system is already under way.

We've already got that designed, and for the most part, implemented as
well.

> We probably need pkg-plists. Even if that sucks.

We're thinking it would be highly useful to have an entirely layer of
abstraction here. Think of a cluster of FreeBSD machines sitting in a lab.
Why not put all their package information into a local Postgres server?

> It would probably be possible to create packages from /usr/obj (or
> equivalent), and then install these, but the fundamental problem is
> that:
>
> cd /foo/bar ; make install
>
> is more efficient than
>
> cd /foo/bar ; make package ; pkg_add bar.tgz

Yes, but what I've got in mind is making the install target smart enough
to update the package database.