Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2014 21:30:39 -0800
From:      aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mdconfig via rc.conf

On Mar 4, 2014, at 9:19 PM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Mar 2014, aurfalien wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> Apology for the cross post as I asked in the general questions list =
and also if this is not an appropriate question.
>>=20
>> But are there any other parameters I would need to setup a ram disk =
at boot time?
>>=20
>> I have this in my rc.conf;
>>=20
>> mdconfig_md100=3D?-t malloc -s 12G?
>=20
> rc.conf is sourced, but not the place for code.
>=20
>> I?ve opted not to mount or format it for now.
>>=20
>> But upon boot, I do not see the md100 device.
>>=20
>> Is there anything I need in rc.conf to enable this?
>=20
> It depends on the version of FreeBSD.  On FreeBSD 10, it's easy to do =
with an entry in /etc/fstab, see fstab(5).  For earlier versions, I'm =
not sure of the best way.  There's /etc/rc.local, but may be more =
automated ways in the other rc scripts.

Many thanks for the reply.

What led me to rc.conf was this;

http://ryanbowlby.com/2009/09/30/freebsd-ramdisk-mdconfig/

I=92m using FreebSD 9 and would need it to load very early on in the =
boot process but not be mounted.

I=92ll take a look at rc.local but if its anything like Linux, well =
thats the last thing that loads.

- aurf