Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:18:07 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [RFC] splitting of conf/NOTES

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:17:08PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > > Any comments before I commit this?
> >
> > Please don't commit this.  Splitting NOTES into 2 files (for each arch)
> > already made it harder to maintain and use.
>
> [picking a random email to respond to...]
> Those saying this need to offer alternatives.

They did (put everything in conf/NOTES and cancel the broken parts in
the MD NOTES').  They had nightmares about things moving back and forth
between NOTES files and suggested canceling things to prevent this.
ru finally finished the implementation of canceling devices.  You could
cancel using simple MD sed scripts until config can do it.

> > Parts of the above split is wrong anyway:
> > - ext2fs is inherently MI.  It doesn't compile on some arches since it has
> >   some optimizations which are only implemented (in asm) on i386's and
> >   alphas's.  These optimizations are bogus -- slightly (;-) more important
> >   filesystem like ffs just use C code for the corresponding things
> >   (scanning bitmaps).
>
> ext2fs is piss-poorly documented where we got the Linux bits from what
> had to be done to make then work for us.  I have up after an hour trying
> to get the right sys/gnu/ext2fs/sparc64-bitopts.h.  So I don't think

Why not ask those familiar with the code?  It would take more than an
hour to get an answer but this is not urgent.

> anyone is going to do it anytime soon.  I'll just move it to
> sys/{i386,alpha}/conf/NOTES
>
> > - syscons is supposed to be MI.  If it weren't MI, then it wouldn't be in
> >   /sys/dev ;-).
>
> "meant" != is.  The work to make it truly MI is immense.

Getting the non-isa parts to just compile shouldn't be so hard.  Once it
compiles, having it in all LINTS is good since it prevents more i386'isms
creeping in.

> > - bt and some other devices may be fairly bus-dependent and have no future,
> >   but they can be removed from ../../conf/NOTES using a whole 1 `nodevice'
> >   line (but don't do too much of this or ../../conf/NOTES files would grow
> >   to have almost as much duplication as separate files).
>
> I doubt bt(4) will work on sparc64, PowerPC, or IA-64.  So do people want
> all that's in NOTES.bt (and that's a lot of docs) to be duplicated three
> times in sys/{alpha,i386,pc98}/conf/NOTES or split out as I have??

I want no duplication and as little splitting as possible maintainence and
documentation aspects of NOTES.  NOTES serves as a place to bring together
some of the documentation that is scattered across man pages where hardly
anyway can find it.

Bruce