Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:13:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Define MAXMEM in GENERIC

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:54:46 +0900, "Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
>
> > I'm against this. Magazines test OS as they come out of the box.
>
> This was the argument I raised in my original mail. However, it looks
> pretty ugly on paper:
>
>         It is quite possible that you will have problems installing
>         FreeBSD on your high-end machine, but you'll have great
>         benchmarks once you do.
>
> ;-)
>
> Anyway, I'm loath for this to turn into an unproductive flame war, so
> I won't try to argue an opinion I've already put forward. Instead, I
> ask whether there's any other solution you can think of, since we're
> likely to see more and more people having problems related to failed
> speculative memory probes as >64MB machines become entry-level.

There seems to be a pretty easy solution.  It hasn't been done, but it's
perfectly possible, and probably desireable, to go from having just one
GENERIC to having two.  Having a GENERIC_BIG would solve both your
problems, and create very little bloat, wouldn't it?

This would be a Jordan-problem, I think.  Maybe it would create other
problems with regards to installation, I don't know.  It doesn't
immediately appear ridiculous, tho.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).