Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:34:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Southworth <pauls@ieng.com>
To:        Mike Spengler <mks@networkcs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0 ATM - more logical interfaces?

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Mike Spengler wrote:

:Well, I can get you up to 256 network interfaces pretty easily with a couple
:of small patches.  The first patch is for the atm command and is already
:in FreeBSD 3.1.  The second will require a kernel recompile and is a fix
:that I will commit to the current/stable code.

I patched my 3.0 '/sbin/atm' and kernel as you recommended.  Now it
appears to work up to exactly 100 network interfaces:

fraud# atm set netif hea0 atm 100
fraud# ifconfig atm99
atm99: flags=43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING> mtu 9180
        ether 00:20:ea:00:cc:26
fraud# atm set netif hea0 atm 101
atm: ioctl (AIOCSET) set NIF: Cannot allocate memory

Perhaps there's something else that also needs tweaking?

--Paul