Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:32:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Richard J Kuhns <rjk@grauel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 CD Installation question (Jordan?)

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Richard J Kuhns wrote:

> After the removeable drive in one of our TI laptops decided to leave while
> the system was running (and wiped out quite a bit of the system on it's way
> out), I decided to reload from the 2.1.5 CD I just received.  The laptop
> was previously running 2.1.5; it had gotten there via the -stable path (I
> rebuilt the world every 2 or 3 weeks while -stable work was going on).

OK so far...

> The easiest way to reload it (I thought) would be to mount the CD in
> another FreeBSD machine, and install over a laplink cable.  I've done it a
> number of times in the past with 2.1 without much trouble.

OK.  No problem.

> However....  what combination of Release Name and URL do I need to use to
> do the install this way?  The CD is mounted on machine C as "/cdrom"; with
> the 2.1 sysinstall I could set (in the Options Menu) Release Name to blank,
> ftp user as myself, specify an URL of ftp://C//cdrom, and let it rip.  The
> 2.1.5 sysinstall informs me that it can't CD to `', and can't find any of
> the distributions I'd requested.

Eh?  I have no clue why that URL works, it points to C//cdrom on the
local machine (whatever that means).

The way you should do this is configure Ethernet device 'lp0' with a fake
network on both machines (ie 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2) and then do the ftp
transfer.  Use a URL like:

ftp://10.0.0.1/cdrom/

Realize this does an ANONYMOUS ftp transfer unless you configure otherwise
on the options screen.