Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:58:55 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Overly restrictive checks in the make process

[root@server /usr/ports/databases/postgresql82-server]# make fetch-recursive
===> Fetching all distfiles for postgresql-server-8.2.4_1 and dependencies
===>  postgresql-server-8.2.4_1 cannot install: the port wants postgresql82-client but you have postgresql81-client installed.
*** Error code 1

Why?  Is there a legitimate reason why the fetch process refuses to
download this?  I know I've got an older version installed, but why
is it preventing me from downloading a newer one?  Seems like the
IGNORE= check is either being checked too aggressively or that the
logic is less sophisticated than it should be.

Does anyone know of a reason why this couldn't be changed to allow
fetching of conflicting ports distfiles?

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com