Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2001 11:29:41 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        andy t <g_et1@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help!! telnet localhost denied

In message <F245LnH8z6A2hh9fGIi0000efde@hotmail.com>, andy t writes:

>i've uncomented telnet on /etc/inetd.conf, but still i have that permission
>denied
>
>> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
>> > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Permission denied

The only think I know of that would return EPERM (Permission denied)
to a connect request is a local firewall rule blocking such
connections. If nothing was listening on the telnet port you'd get
'Connection refused', and if it was blocked by tcp wrappers it
would say 'Connected to ...' followed by 'Connection closed by
foreign host'.

Do you have any ipfw or ipfilter rules in place that might block
local telnet connections?

Ian