Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 01:16:28 +0100
From:      André Esteves de Carvalho <Andre.Carvalho@megamedia.pt>
To:        "'freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:    hard disk reading errors

Hello,

The disk of my freebsd 2.0.5 started to report this kind of errors:

wds1e: hard error reading fsbn xxxxxx of xxxxx-xxxxx (wd1 bn xxxx; cn xxx
tn xx sn xx)wd1:status 59 <rdy, seekdone,drq,err> error 40 <uncorr>

I am very worried since I have already lost some directories very important
to me. I think the files are there but how can I recover them? I tried fsck
but it seems to do nothing about bad blocks...

Can anyone help me with a solution or at list a good description of what
the error message fully means??

Thank you in advance. Please answer directly because I don't subscrive this
list at the moment.

André

Andre' Esteves de Carvalho
Gestor de Projecto / Project Manager

Atenção: Nova morada, telefones e fax!!!

MegaMedia, Solucoes Multimedia, SA
Edif. Arroios, R. António Pedro 111, 1ºBC
1150 Lisboa, Portugal

Tel: (+351 - 1) 317 22 60
Fax: (+351 - 1) 317 22 61
mailto:Andre.Carvalho@megamedia.pt