Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 03:28:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UNIX-like approach to software and system architecture

> Interestingly, Theo De Raadt also seems to agree that djb's approach to
> DNS daemons is more sensible and secure than ISC's. In his own words:

I have to say that I understand Paul Vixie's decision inre: a
closed mailing list, with subscription revenue.  I think it's
a good idea, from the perspecdtive that BIND has taken a huge
amount of flack recently, not the least of which is the DNS
outage at Microsoft, and unrelated to the BIND software.  For
large players, who rely on security through obscurity and
have large deployment latencies, it makes sense to charge them
for a seperate channel, that is unlikely to have the people
who are causing the problems listening in for new cookbook
fodder.

Actually, SCO had a fix for this a long time ago, where they
had the ability to permit particular programs to do things,
like bind reserved ports, as an attribute of the program (VMS
did this too, with its concept of "installed images"), and
not require that such programs run as root.  Adding this
feature to FreeBSD would go a long way toward resolving the
"root exploit" problem.

As far as DJB's DNS: I have a fundamental disagreement with
his model, in that I believe that all data modifications
should be done via a protocol, and he actually locks down the
data, prohibiting the historical master/slave relationship,
and updates.  I firmly believe that, going forward, everything
will need to be protocol driven, since it gives the fastest
turn-around (and in fact I have modified my local copy of bind
to permit creation of new zones via DNSUPDAT).

It seems to me that what you lose with his model is nowhere
near worth it, to gain so little.  I also don't believe that
the claim to increased security has really been backed by a
formal analysis.  At the level of DNS, you really need to not
just audit, you need to do completeness proofs.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.