Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 00:42:46 +0100
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@interbizz.se>
To:        max@vega.pfts.com
Cc:        kaj@interbizz.se
Subject:   Re: calcru: negative time of -71345076 usec for pid 23891 (make)

 MS> Does anybody know what does this mysterious message means?

 MS> calcru: negative time of -71345076 usec for pid 23891 (make)

Since I haven't seen an explanatory answer to this, let me throw in a
guess (so there is at lest a try for an answer) ...

Is the process in fact alive a looong time, rather than very short?
Then the problem might be either that calcru (which, by the way, I
don't know a thing about) casts a time_t (which is a long, according
to <machine/ansi.h>) to an int, hence overflow, which might leed to
underflow when using signed. Or it might be that the long (which is
signed) overflows itself, but that would be an incredibly long time

// Rasmus Kaj

--
kaj@cityonline.se --------------- Rasmus Kaj - http://www.e.kth.se/~kaj/
 \               CityOnLine IB Production AB - http://www.CityOnLine.se/