Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 00:02:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        void <float@firedrake.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Anthony.Wyatt@csiro.au
Subject:   Re: It's not fun anymore. (Mike resigns from core)

On 09-May-2002 void wrote:
> FreeBSD is a research project, but it's also a production-quality
> operating system.  It is important that it be "loose" enough to keep
> hackers interested, but it is also important that it be managed carefully
> enough that companies like Yahoo (which employs at least one core team
> member, if I'm not mistaken) can continue to depend on it.
>
> I think that the successful management of the tension between these
> goals has a lot to do with why FreeBSD is so useful and interesting.
> I guess that these conflicting goals also have a lot to do with the
> conflicts within core that Mike alluded to.
>
> Just my two cents, I hope no one takes offense.  I think flamage on this
> thread is pretty inappropriate and I'd like to respectfully ask everyone
> to keep things civil, even if only on this thread.

Another thing to keep in mind is that FreeBSD has some 300 odd "researchers"
working on it, and that's not counting the folks who put in time to work on
it but just don't have a commit bit for some reason or another.  At a certain
point things don't scale and you need some sort of structure.  Of course, you
want to minimize the amount of structure so you can keep out of people's way
when possible.