Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:54:17 -0500
From:      Timothy Luoma <lists@tntluoma.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   can't figure out Brother 1240 + CUPS

Trying to setup Brother 1240 to be able to be printed to from across
LAN (Mac OS X/WinXP), preferably using smb.

The Brother 1240 hooked to the FreeBSD 5.3 machine via USB:

dmesg shows:

	ulpt0: Brother Industries product 0x0006, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2,
iclass 7/1

	ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

I have cups-samba installed (and was able to install my HP 5150 which
is also on USB on the same machine).

When I goto 'add printer' in CUPS, I give it a name and say 'USB
Printer #1' and then I am only offered these choices:

Raw
DYMO
EPSON
HP
OKIDATA
Zebra

(I was hoping for 'Brother')

I've also installed foomatic-db and hpijs (and restarted CUPS) but it
didn't change that list at all.

It appears that some folks are using an HP driver, so I clicked on HP
and then I am only give these options:

HP Color LaserJet series PCL 6 CUPS
HP DeskJet Series CUPS
HP LaserJet Series CUPS
HP LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS
HP New DeskJet Series CUPS

I tried both the non-color LaserJets and neither one of them would
print (it would trigger the printer to turn on, but nothing ever
printed, just every 30 seconds it would restart the printer.

Since no one else reports this issue, I'm assuming that I am
overlooking something too simple for others to suggest.

TjL