Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 1997 00:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, cunning@dpt.com
Subject:   Make World Times

Those of us who like I/O systems, here are some interesting statistics:

Total time to build (from fresh install, cd /usr/src;make world):  1h42m.

Disk I/O statistics:

52,482 READs, 732,036 WRITEs.

Fastest READ 277us, fastest WRITE 119us
Slowest READ 298ms, slowest WRITE 534ms

Interrupts: 734,124 with latency of 12us - 10.1ms

[ Block size:count:slowest:fastest ]

READ by size:
512:55:239:20812
1K:16101:0:152596
2K:4072:0:60314
4K:6452:0:140111
8K:9682:0:149361
16K:2014:0:114036
32K:738:2027:115111
64K:741:0:131711
OTHER:12627:0:298174

WRITE by size:
512:0:-1879048193:0
1K:226294:0:480577
2K:27149:0:466115
4K:14057:0:291831
8K:408962:0:525764
16K:1486:0:291242
32K:721:0:348073
64K:3222:0:274109
OTHER:50145:0:534880

Just as interesting are the queue management statistics:

Waiting Queue (commands ready to go to HBA but cannot):

High Mark:      72
Shortest stay:   7us
Longest Stay:  149.5ms

Submit Queue (command on the HBA):

High Mark:       64  (controller firmware MAX)
Shortest stay:   35us
Longest Stay:  534.9ms

Complete Queue (HBA Done, waiting to callback):

High Mark:       14  (controller firmware MAX)
Shortest stay:   11us
Longest Stay:   10.5ms

Firmware Corner

No port collisions (command to be submited collides with interrupt service)
19 busy command port (did not become ready in 0.5 second
Longest Wait was 0.486 second

These indicate a prblem in the firmware I am using.

---
If Microsoft Built Cars:

Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you'd have to buy a new
car.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313