Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2012 08:20:47 +0300
From:      Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GELI Swap password on boot

On 8 November 2012 03:30, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE and I am experiencing some strange
> > behaviour with GELI.
> >
> > Every time I boot up my computer, I get a request to enter the Encryption
> > password for swap. swap is not encrypted and should not be asking for an
> > encryption password.
> >
> > I have checked and ensured that there are no providers for geli for the
> > ada0p3 partition. Any one have pointers on what I could check for to
> > rectify this.
>
> in /etc/fstab you should have:
>
> /dev/ada0p3.eli           none            swap    sw
>  0 0
>
> in /etc/rc.conf you should have (something like):
>
> geli_swap_flags="-e aes -l 256 -s 4096 -d"
>
> /etc/rc.d/encswap will generate a random password

I added that when I booted and was prompted again for a password. What
puzzles me is that this device is not encrypted. Why is it asking me for a
password? So I encrypted it and added what you have suggested and it still
asks me for a password.

I'll dig a little more into it to figure out why its doing this.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.