Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2017 21:21:15 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>, Stefan Lambrev <cheffo@freebsd-bg.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Random freezes of my FreeBSD droplet (DigitalOcean)

22.11.2017 21:08, Adam Vande More wrote:

>> I have a droplet in DO with very light load, currently
>> running 11.0-RELEASE-p15 amd64 GENERIC kernel + zfs (1 GB Memory / 30 GB
>> Disk / FRA1 - FreeBSD 11.0 zfs)
>>
>> I know ZFS needs more memory, but the load is really light. Unfortunatelly
>> last few weeks I'm experiencing those freezes almost every second day.
>> There are no logs or console messages - just freeze. Networks seems to
>> work, but nothing else.
>>
>> Is there anyone with similar experience here
>> Are there any updates in 11.1 that may affect positively my experience in
>> the digital ocean cloud?
>>

> It's entirely possible to run a stable VM using that configuration so you
> haven't provided enough details to give any real help.  A common foot
> shooting method is putting swap on zvol, but the possibilities are endless.

ZFS ARC greedy growth can easily knock FreeBSD 11 kernel down
as vfs.zfs.arc_max limit seems to be broken since 10.x.

I ran 9.x versions with ZFS within 1G RAM virtual machine non-stop
with only vfs.zfs.arc_max="40M" and vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="5M".

After upgrade to 10.x and than to 11.x, ARC grows upto hundreds of megabytes here
in spite of same settings and easily overflow default 512M KVA limit of i386 system
forcing hard reset of the VM. So, I was forced to increase it using
vm.kmem_size="768M" and vm.kmem_size_max="768M" to keep VM stable.